Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Center and Cause

Repeatedly throughout the first thirty days of this season of sabbatical one theme has been most prominent. God is calling me out of the center and away from assuming that I could be "the cause". The very notion calms me.
Besides my Bible reading (Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations) I have benefited from and recommend chapters 1, 3, 7 and 10 in Earl Creps Off Road Disciplines as "key" to elements to hearing God's Spirit within my heart. (Chapters 11-12 are important for our Pacific Conference Board of Ministry to consider).
Before I began my time away Carl Hanson gave me a little book that I am just about through (The Vision and the Vow by Pete Greig). It is obvious to me how God wonderfully is using this 'gift' to stir my passion for Jesus and His Cause. I am sure that this is the evidence of God's providential leading. I see already that my passion to follow Jesus and submit more fully to Him is deeper now than I felt it was just weeks ago.
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness for they will be satisfied." Jesus (Matthew 5:6)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor John,
I love that you have always encouraged the people at SACC to go into our community to help out and bring the good news of Christ. When I hear about mission trips they always seem like something other people do and they go to far off countries. I like the idea of helping local people through activities organized by SACC. Even people who can't take time off of work to go on a far away mission can be involved in a weekend, one day event. They can involve their kids for a great experience. Thanks for the opportunities you have provided for us to serve locally. God Bless.

Peggy Pettit

Reflections said...

Thanks Peggy for affirming a very importnat truth. "God loves us, and we have an opportunity to love others as He loves us, NOT IN BIG THINGS, but in small things with great love."
Keep that eager zeal.
Pastor John