Sunday, September 28, 2008

More about Worship

As Donalda and I were travelling to Portland on Saturday our conversation turned to my recent reading. The discussion centered around the autobiography of Phil Vischer's (creator of Veggie Tales), a book given to me by a key individual from SACC, and a reflection of Unceasing Worship.

I rarely take the time to read books like Vischer's but will admit that it was a timely gift for my heart and my thinking. I had not quite finished but the last couple chapters were making me slow down and really think about what God is saying to me and how I should lead the efforts of SACC forward. More on that later.

We then began reviewing what stood out to me in the study on the Theology of Worship from Unceasing Worship. I recalled that there was a distinction made regarding the worship described in the Old Testament and the New Testament. More than just the obvious matter of sacrifices, worship in the Old Testament centered around time and place whereas worship in the New Testament centered around Spirit and Truth. In John 4 Jesus has a discussion about worship that clarifies this significant change. So rather than seeing worship as an event we do it is a continuous outpouring. For the Christian, personal holiness and worship are one and the same thing.
I recalled another point made by the author (Harold Best). He referenced the offering of what the old King James Bible called 'strange fire' (see Lev. 10:1, Numbers 3:4; 26:61). This offering was, to say the least, unacceptable to God. Best then related this to our present day mindset that assumes that a certain style or mood of music 'works'. The music then can become nothing more than a contemporary 'strange fire'. It is our assumption that 'this will work' because of nothing more than it being our preference or our opinion. Yikes! We are increasingly segregating our gatherings and at the same time failing to ask ourselves if our gatherings are a response to our personal preferences or Spirit and Truth?
Then came the matter that received the most discussion. Best noted that it appears that the New Testament excludes phrases that call out in desperation (unlike the prayers in the OT, particularly from the Psalms.) The reason is because, thanks to Jesus, the church knows that God is not found at a place or disconnected from our very lives. He dwells in us...affirming the truth that WE NEED HIM is different from simply crying out, I NEED YOU. The way I feel ought to be directed by the TRUTH (remember the Spirit and truth deal) and the truth is Jesus IS present with me at this very moment...I must affirm His presence and my response to Him is my act of Worship. This particular topic raised the most hesitation. So if you have NT examples for me of a Christian desperately crying out to God - note the reference and help me see things properly.

We look forward to our being back at SACC in just 17 days. I am praying for the service today and Pastor James as he shares a message with you...I love you.

No comments: