Saturday, September 20, 2008

Reflecting on Worship

I finally finished reading Unceasing Worship. it seemed like it took me forever to read through this mentally challenging book.
I appreciated being reminded that everyone is a worshipper. Not simply that we were made to worship...we are worshipping. What is also true is that we serve (or give ourselves to) whatever we direct our worship to.
The four central passages looked at included Romans 12:1-5; John 4, Psalm 29 and 1 Corinthians 14. It was this last passage that spoke of our worship and witness being connected. When we gather - those present will share a awareness of God that will mature the heart of the believer and transform the heart of the non believer. This transforming effect is truly what I long for our gatherings. For this to occur the source of all we do has to be Christ. Marginialize Him and the results will be what the Old Testament referred to as "Strange Fire".
As I prepare to worship in a gathered setting tomorrow I know that it will not be the song selection or the 'mood' that music creates that would be central. I bring to that place the presence of Christ in me...He is 'at work in me to will and do His good pleasure.' Just what I need to worship Christ.

No comments: